Trump interview tops customer visits
It was the interview that dominated the news for an entire day. As the first UK media to interview US President-elect Donald Trump and with Tory MP, News UK columnist and leading Brexit campaigner, Michael Gove, asking the questions, our website enjoyed a significant surge in visitor numbers.
“We dropped our paywall for Brexit as I think a lot of people did, but not doing that for Trump has meant that we’ve had a huge surge in subscriptions and have enjoyed great newspaper sales for the week,” said Catherine Newman, chief marketing officer for The Times and The Sunday Times. The Drum
The number of TNL customers visiting the site was 97k, up +25% week on week while total traffic was 408k, with an average dwell time of 10 minutes.
The top three Trump articles on site are: 1. ‘Donald Trump: I’ll do a deal with Britain‘:** 16.6k logged in unique visitors, 20.5k** page views and an average dwell time per visitor of six minutes and 32 seconds.
- ‘Full transcript of the interview with Donald Trump‘: 14.2k logged in unique visitors, 18k page views and an average dwell time per visitor of eight minutes and 51 seconds.
- ‘Brexit will be a great thing…you were so smart to get out‘: 6.5k logged in unique visitors, 7.7k page views and an average dwell time per visitor of seven minutes and 30 seconds.
Meanwhile, on the iPhone app, the top three Trump articles are:
- ‘Trump broadside stuns Europe‘: 8.6k logged in unique visitors, with 9.8k page views and a dwell time per visitor of three minutes and nine seconds.
- ‘Donald Trump: I’ll do a deal with Britain‘: 6.7k logged in unique visitors, with 8.3k page views and a dwell time per visitor of three minutes and 54 seconds.
- ‘The special relationship in its bare essentials‘: 5.4k logged in unique visitors, 6.8k page view and an average dwell time per visitor of one minute and 56 seconds.
As of 9.30am on Tuesday January 17, total sign-ups for registered access hit 16.3k with five out of the top 10 converting articles for registered access this month are related to Trump. The top three included:
- ‘Full transcript of interview with Donald Trump‘: 6.8k sign-ups.
- ‘Donald Trump: I’ll do a deal with Britain‘: 2.8k sign-ups.
- ‘Donald Trump interview: Brexit will be a great thing‘: 1.6k sign-ups.
Meanwhile, on social networks 9.4k interview mentions have been made since 10pm on Sunday January 15. A further 7.9k unique users on social networks have been talking about the interview since the exclusive broke.
Among the keywords and topics mentioned, Putin/Russia (32%), May/Britain/UK (26%) and Brexit/ EU (15%) make up the top three.
Also, according to our analysis, the number of social media users engaging with our content was four times higher on Trump interview posts than any other social content posted during the same time, while shares per post were two times higher.