The Sun, Sunday Times and Jeremy Clarkson name their Cars of the Year at new Awards
The winners of the inaugural News UK Motor Awards, sponsored by Bridgestone Tyres, were announced last night at an exclusive gala awards ceremony held at The News Building in London Bridge.
The awards recognise innovation across all motoring segments from luxury to LCVs, city cars and SUVs and are judged by readers as well as automotive journalists across The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun and talkSPORT.
Over 200,000 reader votes were cast, choosing from shortlists selected by our motoring experts.
Jeremy Clarkson, key reviewer for The Sunday Times and presenter of The Grand Tour, was named Motoring Personality of the Year. He named his Car of the Year as the Lamborghini Huracán Performante at the awards evening. Other winners include the Jaguar I-PACE, which was named The Sunday Times Car of the Year, and the Ford Fiesta ST, which was named The Sun Car of the Year. The winners will be featured in tomorrow’s Sun and The Sunday Times Magazine and The Sun on Sunday 14th October.
Rob Walsh, Motors Category Director, News UK, said: “Our knowledgeable and passionate readership has had their say, alongside motoring experts from some of the biggest media brands in the country. The Motor Awards can now celebrate and recognise the achievements of the best automotive innovations over the past year. Our congratulations to all of the deserving winners, our thanks to our partners at Bridgestone and we’re already looking forward to 2019”
Andy Mathias, Marketing Communications Manager, Bridgestone North Europe region said: “The Motor Awards have been an exciting campaign to work on with News UK and their network of media brands. All of the winners are market leaders and we’re delighted to be supporting this celebration of motoring excellence”.
In full, the award winners are:
- Family Car of the Year: Volvo V60
- Adventure Car of the Year: Mercedes AMG G 63
- Commuter Car of the Year: VW Golf GTE
- City/small Car of the Year: MINI 5-door Hatch
- Sports Car of the Year: Aston Martin Vantage
- SUV/crossover of the year: Range Rover Velar
- Dog friendly Car of the Year: Land Rover Discovery
- Green Car of the Year: Jaguar I-PACe
- Car Tech of the Year: BMW wireless charging mat
- Best Designed Car of the Year: Aston Martin DBS Superleggera
- Motorbike of the Year: Ducati Panigale V4
- Value Car of the Year: Dacia Duster
- Hot Hatchr of the Year: Honda Civic Type R
- Van/Pick-up of the Year: Ford Transit Custom
- The Sun Car of the Year: Ford Fiesta ST
- The Sunday Times Car of the Year: Jaguar I-PACE
- Luxury Car of the Year: Bentley Continental GT
- British-built Car of the Year: Nissan Qashqai
- Jeremy Clarkson Car of the Year: Lamborghini Huracán Performante
The judges for this year’s awards were:
- Rob Gill, Motors Editor, The Sun
- Nick Francis, Motors Editor, The Sun on Sunday
- Nick Rufford, Motoring Editor, The Sunday Times
- Will Dron, Editor, driving.co.uk
- Elisha Thakorlal, Digital Motors Editor, The Sun